The Minimalist Sailor

Brought to you by Project BlueSphere

What a ride!

IMG_4515

Six months to the day since I bought her, Lorilee is finally back in the water.

IMG_4497

Painting done, and tape line removed

Because of paint cure and launch timing, I had the weekend all planned out down to the hour.  And of course, the best laid plans almost ALWAYS change.  I won’t bore you with the details, but the bottom paint was supposed to be delivered to the yard on Thursday, but because of a shortage of drivers, it wouldn’t be delivered until Monday.  So Friday afternoon my dad and I sped down to Corpus Christi to pick up the paint from the freight terminal.  Upon our return, we got to painting.

IMG_4508

line preventer on rudder

By Saturday evening, Lorilee was in the slings and ready for launch.  I had some last minute things to do before launching aside from paint.  I laid new vinyl naming and hailing port, and installed a rope-preventing tab on the underside of the rudder.  I made this out of an old sail batten I found in the yard.

Bright and early Sunday morning, we arrived at the yard, so we could be launched first thing.  After tightening up a few drippy seacocks (through-hull valves), I started the engine.  So without further ado, Lorilee sped out of the slings and away from that infernal yard with zeal.

 

 

 

 

IMG_4522

Finally getting launched!!!

Not even ten minutes later, Dad noticed that we were taking on substantial water in the engine room, and smoke was billowing out.  Sh*t.  I handed him the tiller and dove down into the engine room with a flashlight.  The primary exhaust hose had split right at the through-hull, so the engine was dumping smoke and water into the engine room.   Back at the tiller, I spun her around and docked up at the yard.   When I went to pull the old hose off, it basically just ripped apart in my hand.

Ten minutes later...

Ten minutes later…

 

So after a quick trip to town and a new exhaust hose in-hand, I had the engine running again, leak-free.   We motored out into Aransas Bay and made sail.  It was my first time sailing by myself (without other sailors, anyway), but I think she handled wonderfully.  With a few more projects left to do, I’ll be moving her north to Galveston.  No more three-hour drives! Woooot!

– Ryan

IMG_4512

Just got all the sails up and trimmed

IMG_4516

Bringing her into the slip

Updated: July 29, 2015 — 10:47

2 Comments

  1. The smile on your face says it all bro!!! Priceless. Another man on this site to set a fire under my ass, hope it burns hot. Starting to research the boat the fit me. This size and quality range , full keel makes sense. But what were ur other top 3 choices if u don’t mind sharing. Every consider a cat brand for example too. Would the 28 have been adequate if alone like me? And have u seen a recent deal? Usual bridge crossing q. Love the work and steps ur presenting. Keep up the fo I’d

    1. Thanks Capt Ron. It’s been great! She’s an ongoing project, but with every screw I turn, and every smashed thumb she becomes more and more part of my dream.

      I actually made an offer on a W28 about a month before I bought Lorilee. The boat sold to another bidder. The interior size is remarkably smaller than the W32, but she would be a great ship for a singlehander. As you know, Alex took Namaste all the way to Australia.

      I was looking at Cape Dory’s, Bristols, and Albergs all in about the 28-34ft range. I don’t particularly care for cats, mostly because of their enormous beam and sheer cost. I could buy two fully decked out W32’s for the price of a decent cat. Cats really aren’t my style either. I like a more traditional vessel. However, you gotta get what YOU like. You’re going to be dumping sweat, blood, and money into her no matter what you get, so she’s got to be worth it. My heart leaped the first time I saw a W32. I knew I had to get one :)

Comments are closed.

The Minimalist Sailor © 2017 Frontier Theme
Translate »