Sorry I haven’t been blogging more but my nose has been on the proverbial grindstone. I’ve been battling with a below decks autopilot instillation (Thanks Neil), attending to rigging issues, plumbing, electrical issues, and working, working, working on Eleanor to get her ready for our voyage to Panama.
My crew member Todd is a super-great guy and a pleasure to have around. I also had another friend drive down from Canada to help for a few days (Thanks Pete).
One of the first things I did upon arriving here in New York was to install my Cubic Mini wood burning stove. I don’t have words to rave about it enough. I’ve lovingly named our new stove Guinevere as it is beautiful, warm, and fills our home with Love, not to mention the wonderful smell of a wood burning stove and free heat on a cold night.
Guinevere has truly transformed our cold boat into a home, and I smile every time I see it, the warm fire burning in its window, or the sweet smoke pouring from her chimney. There is just something special about having a wood-burning stove on a boat! They are moderately priced ($379) and very easy to install. If you want to give yourself a great gift and extend your cursing season get yourself a cubic mini wood burning stove.
As far as the hank-on/roller furling issue, I have made a decision. If you know me at all you would know I over-think all of my boat related equipment decisions and process them to death before deciding to introduce a piece of gear on my boat.
After much deliberation I have decided to go with a Harken unit 2 MKIV furling system for Eleanor’s head-sail management. Eleanor has a large head sail on a 53’ hoist, and the reality is I’m turning 50 in July. I never minded hoisting a headsail on my smaller boats and at the end of the day it was a safety call. I also want Carla to be able to handle Eleanor, especially if something happens to me and she needs to sail herself.
Eleanor’s new furling should arrive by the weekend.
I have a few projects to finish up and the plan is to Leave NY between the 20th, and 25th of this month.
I’ll be looking for a weather window to sail from Sandy hook NJ to Cape May NJ, and if the weather permits will continue to Norfolk offshore, otherwise will sail up the Delaware bay to transit the C&D canal, and sail down the Chesapeake for Norfolk, the ICW, and on to Cape Fear where we will venture off-shore again for Charleston SC.
I am highly motivated to get back to Carla and Nacho. I miss them terribly and cant wait to show them our new home.
I’m excited to get back to the business of long distance sailing and breaking Eleanor in with an ocean crossing. I’m also excited to get my Flemming Global Auxiliary windvane installed and tested, looks like such a nice unit!
If anyone is interested to join us on our trip to Panama for a spell and can help with expenses please let me know.
That’s it for today guys.
Sail far and live slowly.