This past weekend was supposed to be rainy so I was limited on Lorilee boat work. I did manage to accomplish a few things.
Friday, I wet-sanded (in the rain) the mast to smooth out the lent left behind by the crappy roller I used. I used automotive 400-grit wet/dry paper from my buddy that runs an auto-body shop. Thanks Tyler! It seemed to really do the trick. This coming weekend I’ll roll/tip the second coat with a fine foam roller intended for epoxy use and a good brush. We’ll see how that turns out.
That night I rebuilt my fresh water system. After sitting in the bilge for forty years, the old stainless tanks had some pitting and leaks on the bottom. I pulled them out a few weekends ago and cleaned them out, and coated the bottom with some Interlux Watertite epoxy given to me by a friend. I installed all new fittings and hoses and filled the tanks. After a few pumps with the foot-powered Whale Galley Gusher, I noticed a ton of water running out of the cabinet. The pump had a huge crack in the housing. Of course! Well, this is why we carry spare everything. By total happenstance, someone gave me a later model of the pump that was supposedly “just for parts”. I dug it out and put it back together. It was all there! It is so nice to finally have water in the galley!
Saturday and Sunday were mostly spent sorting out the exhaust system. When the Universal was installed last year, the previous owner was pressed for time, so the exhaust system was plumbed directly to the through hull. If the boat is in large seas, a following wave can rush up the exhaust hose and flood the engine. No bueno. A water lift muffler and anti-siphon loop will help prevent this. So, one of my high-priority punch list items was to get a water lift muffler and pipe the cooling water discharge and exhaust line properly. I scored a second-hand waterlift muffler for $40, and I picked up a couple of bronze fittings. I think I have it all figured out, so now I’m just waiting on the vented loop to get here to complete the project. More pics to follow.
To keep me motivated and sane, I try to reinstall one piece of equipment every weekend. Two weeks ago I put up the boom gallows and last weekend I mounted the bow pulpit. She’s starting to look like a ship again!
It’s FINALLY going to be nice and sunny this weekend, so I’m going to finish painting the mast, boom, and spreaders. I can’t wait to get the rig put back together. Right now, the rigging and sails are in my starboard setee, taking up half of the main cabin. It’s driving me crazy.
Sorry for the lack of pics. I was dirty and busy all weekend. I promise more next time. :)